The definition is used to expresses the meanings of the particular term. It is very essential for explaining the term in brief words, for the efficiency and effective usage of time it is good for the reader to understand the concept with the help of the definitions. Mostly the reders when reading the books used to read the definitions just to have a view of the concept that what is the concept all about and then start writes in their own words. A definition which is formal consists of logical words, and organized pattern. The definition should contain the whole meaning and every aspect of the term but within a specified space.
Usually there are four types of definitions: analytical definition, extensional definition, operational definition, and nominal definition.
Mostly the writers used to write different definitions regarding the title of the assignment just because to overcome the misunderstanding on the part of the reader. The definition consists of the word terms and the differentiated features which are different than the other terms belong to the same class.
When writing definition, the writer must know that where to use the definitions in the paper because it is essential for the writer to use the definition in the proper place of the paper. You should use the definition of the term in the paper as it has a large usage in the whole document.
The tips for writing definition are as follows:
1. It is always better to define the particular noun with noun and avoid the word again and again in the definition.
2. The language of definition should be very simple. You should should avoid using technical words.
3. Language should be according to the level of the readers' understanding because they are the one who needs to understand so the familiar vocabulary should be focused.
4. Definitions should be adequate and precise in words but avoid using the details of the word in the definitions.
To write an effective definition essay you need to first understand the meaning of such an essay. The purpose of such types of essays is to explain what a particular term means.
Selecting a definition is the most important step when it comes to writing a definition essay. Before you begin to explain the term to all your readers, it is imperative that you have a good understanding of the term yourself. You cannot expect to successfully explain a term that you yourself cannot comprehend. To write a good essay you need to understand the term by reading its meaning in a dictionary. However, do not copy this definition and place it in your essay. It is important that you teach your readers the meaning of the term by explaining it in short in your own words.
When writing a definistion essay, you should keep the following in your mind:
1. Do not rely on the old cliche of the dictionary or encyclopedia definition even if your intention is to show how inadequate the dictionary might be, because they have been used far too often to be effective. The point of writing your definition essay is to provide your reader with a new way of looking at things.
2. In selecting a topic for your definition essay, look for something that you can define within your own experience.
3. Avoid defining like "is where" and "is when" in your definition. For example, "Total Quality Management is when management and labor agree to..." "A computer virus is where..."
4. Avoid circular definitions which repeat the defined term within the predicate, the definition itself. For example, "A computer virus is a virus that destroys or disrupts software..."
5. Avoid using too narrow definitions, one that would unduly limit the scope of your paper. For example, "Reggae music is sung on the Caribbean island of Jamaica..."
6. Inform the readers of the term whose definition is being given.
7. Provide simple information that readers would easily be able to understand.
8. Explain your content with the help of factual information, relevant examples and even anecdotes that reach out to your readers.
Free English Practice Online
English Spelling Practice
English Comprehensive Practice
English Reading Comprehension Practice
English Vocabulary Practice
English Grammar Practice
English Typing Practice
English Word Search
English Situational Conversation
English Background Reading Materials
English intensive readingregular Verb Practice