Illustration is the way to explain something by saying what it is and giving some examples of it. So the commonest and most useful patterns of organization consists of a general statement explained or illustrated by examples or details. The example type can be specific examples, archetypal examples, or imaginary examples. This pattern can be used in a sentence a paragraph or a long essay. The following are some tips on writing illustration.
1. Stay away from personal opinions. You can use personal experiences as an example, but this approach is better for informative essays than for argumentative ones. The purpose of an essay is to inform or persuade an audience, so you want to present the essay in an objective way without showing bias.
2. Don't use contradictory examples. If you're writing an essay about people's dependence on the Internet and how it hinders students' research skills, don't use an example that talks about the benefits of using online information.
3. Use specific and original examples. Your essay will look generic and uninteresting if you use illustrations that others have used or use constantly. If your essay is about how conflicts in interracial marriages affect child-rearing, talk about each spouse's internalization of racial stereotypes as a factor in this conflict and suggest possible solutions to it.
In writing illustration essay, you should take the following guidelines:
1. It is appropriate to begin paragraph with a transitional word.
2. State your main points in topic sentence in every paragraph.
3. Hook the reader to anticipate the example.
4. Grab reader's attention with interesting examples.
5. Restate the thesis statement in conclusion paragraph.
Free English Practice Online
English Spelling Practice
English Comprehensive Practice
English Reading Comprehension Practice
English Vocabulary Practice
English Grammar Practice
English Typing Practice
English Word Search
English Situational Conversation
English Background Reading Materials
English intensive readingregular Verb Practice