English Vocabulary Building Tips
A good vocabulary is crucial to reading comprehension. You will become a better reader as you increase your word power. As you increase your vocabulary, you increase your reading comprehension ability that in turn should improve your critical thinking skills. A good vocabulary is the basis of understanding what you read and learn.
You can use the following tips to increase your vocabulary:
1. Study the English word formation (root, prefix, and suffix).
2. Try to use the word you just learned. It can be either in writinng, in speaking, or repeat it in your mind.
3. Read as much as you can.
4. Avoiding language mix ups.
5. Learn related words & phrases. For example, when talking about body, think about hand, head, etc.
6. Learn words or guess meaning of the words in context during your reading.
7. Use your Thesaurus.
8. Use dictionary often.
9. Use vocabulary building software.
10. Whenever you come across to a new word, do not try to learn it by rote. Instead of it, make sure that you know how to use it.
11. Learn a new word by phrase or sentence instead of a word only.
12. When you try to memorise the words that you are just learned, use your imagination. Picture the word in your mind. This is the easiest and most effective way for you to remember new words.
Free English Practice Online
English Spelling Practice
English Comprehensive Practice
English Reading Comprehension Practice
English Vocabulary Practice
English Grammar Practice
English Typing Practice
English Word Search
English Situational Conversation
English Background Reading Materials
English Irregular Verb Practice